Saturday, July 03, 2004

Block Drop Progress Report #4



Alright, update time! The thumb above is showing off the basic font system being used by Block Drop. This demo is incrementing the player's score 1 point per frame rendered.

Tools used
I did some research and I found that the BFont library best fit my needs. I just needed a simple font system to display font created dynamically and of any data type because I will need to print numbers as a string text. An added bonus is that this library also provides the ability of justifying the text left, center, and right (can't beat that).

Comments
First off, the SDL is AWESOME! I recommend it to anyone that wants to just focus on developing their game and not all of the redundant subsystem code. It is widely supported and has good enough documentation to get you started. Plus, it is platform independent, that is a great reason to play with it. Oh and yes mudface, I will be making a Crapple version, so be ready because I will need you to test.

Okay, be aware that the font being used right now is not the final product. It is just a test font to make sure the font rendering system works correctly. Once the base functionality of the game is in place I will recruit a texture artist to generate some bitmap fonts to use that fit the theme of the game. So relax because I don't want 80 comments about how disgusting my font selection is, because I am fully aware of that already =P.

What's Next
The next thing on my plate is to design/implement how the blocks will interact with each other. I am shooting for having some screens this Friday, but if not, it will be the following Friday, July 16th because this will be one of the biggest tasks. Most likely, I will have something for you guys this coming Friday so stay tuned!

OOH OOH EEH EEH

No comments: